Friday, October 4, 2013

Autumn, Costumes, and Poems

Hey everybody! Today is a happy day...you know why? It's Friday!!! I am so glad it's the weekend; it's been a long week! 

Since the last blog, I have gone to this awesome bingo with the homeschoolers, and I won 1st place for one of the bingo patterns! That's really cool because I’ve never won before! I sat next to my friend A, and we had so much fun! We went to get snacks, and saw that there were minion cupcakes! Minion cupcakes! (for those of you who don't know, minions are from the movie Despicable Me and are strangely adorable!) Well, we just had to get them. Here's a picture of the minion cupcakes, and A's new minion plush she recently got:

I wrote a super cool poem about the senses and Fall. Here it is:
I know, it's a long poem, but I love every stanza of it! I used rhyming, beat, AND alliteration. I hope you enjoyed it! 

This week, I also have been working on memorizing The Captain’s Daughter by James T. Fields. I will now type it with out looking at the actual poem.

We were crowded in the cabin,
not a soul would dare to sleep,
it was midnight on the waters
and a storm was on the deep.

'Tis a fearful thing in winter
to be shattered by the blast,
and to hear the rattling trumpet
thunder, “Cut away the mast!'

So we shuddered there in silence
for the stoutest held their breath,
while the hungry sea was roaring
and the breakers talked with death

As thus we sat in darkness
each one busy with his prayers
“we are lost!” the captain shouted
as he staggered down the stairs.

But his little daughter whispered
as she took his icy hand
is not God upon the ocean
just the same as on the land?

So we kissed the little maiden
and we spoke in better cheer
and we anchored safe in harbor
when the morn was shining clear.

That was all from memory; not once did I look at the book! Haha, pretty good, huh?

Are you all glad it's October? I am! Halloween is one of my favorite holidays! I also love fall, and the month of October, as you can probably tell by my poem! I am making progress on my costume - I'm going to be an ocelot - here are some pictures of what I've done so far:
This is the mask; I took a ¾ white face mask that I bought at Hobby Lobby for the base. 
Then, I took soft styrofoam and shaped a muzzle and eyebrows and glued them to the mask in the right places. After that, I cover the whole thing in the ocelot print fur that I got, using hot glue as an adhesive. When that was finished, I cut strips of thin wire and hot glued them to the “eyebrows” and the muzzle. Then I took to small pieces of elastic, glued them together to make a small elastic square, and cut it into the shape of a cat nose. I then colored it red with a black outline. I glued that to the mask. The ears are long black fur sewn onto pink fabric and then glue to the mask-under the print fur. When I wear the costume, I will use heavy eyeliner and mascara, and black eyeshadow coloring my eyes every where you can see it from the mask. That way, they'll blend right in. I'm also using black lipstick to make my mouth look like part of the actual mask. I wish I took step by step pictures of the mask-in-the-making, but I didn't, so I hope this verbal tutorial helped!

This might be my favorite part of my costume so far - besides the mask that is! It's my super-fluffy fluff tail!
I simply folded the print fabric over, cut out a tail shape, and sewed all the edges but the end together. Then, I added the fluffy black fur to the end, and turned the tail right side out so that the the tail looked right. Then I stuffed it with stuffing I used from a butchered old pillow! Haha! I then cut two holes on either side the top of the tail and threaded a belt through. The belt will go around my waist and the tail will stay where I want it!

This is my shirt - it's not entirely finished. 
I have to complete the sleeves, but I think that's it. I just used a shirt pattern for this, and added a zipper in the back. 

I'm working on the pants right now, but hopefully I'll post something about them with pictures next week - certainly before Halloween! I also am working on the shoes. I'll have that up with the pants too!

Well, that's about it for this blog! Till next time,
Goodbye and Happy October everybody!

Photo Gallery 

I have been playing around with the settings on our new camera, so I made this black and white picture of me with a green flower in my hair!

 
I went outside yesterday to see the sky, and this is what I saw!
 
Our family went on a walking tail, and saw this very colorful spider in a web. The spider was huge! This is the first time I’ve willingly gone near a spider, thought it was cool, or taken a picture of one! But here it is:
and here's its web

baby on walking path

Baby and mommy

Feast of the guardian angels-we made angel food cake, and stuck homemade angels in it!

Baby playing drums-noisy!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Mia!! Another week has passed - I can't believe it! Loved the Captains Daughter poem - how do you find these authors and decide which one to remember? I really loved that one!!! Your fall poem was awesome - you certainly touched on what I love about fall!! Loved the minions - I had not seen the movie -Despicable Me but now I want to! Thanks for sharing the hard work on your costume - you are the most creative person I know!!! Love and proudly, your Auntie A