Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Almost Done!!!!

Wow, OK last week was AWESOME! We are winding down our subjects. I’ve finished my history textbook, poetry, math, catechism, grammar, geography, science, and spelling. Next week is testing, which I can't wait to write about on Friday, because then my school will be over! Exciting isn't it! Of course that means no blogs until next year, but I am fine with taking a break and having summer! It has felt as if it would never come. It still seems too far away, but it will be here before I know it.

Of the subjects I am still doing, I have a historical fiction book, 40 Acres and Maybe a Mule. It is a good book actually, it is interesting and keeps my focus. It is about Pascal and his brother Gideon, his friend Nelly, Mr. Freedman, and Gladness. They are freed slaves, and they want their 40 acres of land promised to them by the Freedman's Bureau. They journey all the way to Georgia where they finally get their land. They become a family, and chose the last name of City. They help each other through problems, of which there are many, such as former slave-owners who want their slaves back, angry whites, night riders, and more. Somehow they find a way through it and become like family. It is a good book, and I am actually looking forward to seeing what happens.

I am working on memorizing a poem. The poem is "The Giraffe" and is two paragraphs long. Here is what I have memorized so far. I am typing this not looking at the book.
Listen!
There roams, far away, by the waters of Clead
an exquisite creature, the giraffe
He moves like a ship in the vastness and stillness of space.
Approaching, he seems to bewitch all the creatures.
His sails are inflated with the winds of adventure and grace.
He barley touches the ground.
He is kingly and strait and his movements incredibly light
his skin is the play of the sun on a murmuring wave.
I know the ostriches witness a wonderful sight
when at nightfall he hides in his emerald cave

I am preparing for the writing test now, and I am having to write a whole essay in 45 minutes. It's a little hard because I have been working on paragraphs that take 45 minutes, so writing an essay with five paragraphs is a little difficult of a change, but I am getting better at it.

What else interesting, well hmm, let's see, how about my performance of the King and I?! It was, to say the very least, EPIC. Most of my friends came to see it, and Bye Bye Birdie.

Everyone first came to my house and dropped their things off. Then we rode in the car to the theater where the plays were going to be preformed. While my friends and my mom and sister waited to see Bye Bye Birdie, I went upstairs to my cast. Every one was pretty pumped, and after some warm ups and games, we got in line to go see another play. Romeo and Juliet. When we got to the theater, we all sat down and waited for the show to begin. It was a little hard to understand at first, after all it was Shakespeare, but after a while I was able to get the gist of it. The play had great actors, cool costumes, and awesome effects. When we got back up to our rehearsal room, we were full of jitters and nervousness. We had 30 minutes until we went on stage!

First thing was getting changed into costume. Then we all gathered around and played a game, did warm ups, stretched, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera! Then, we had to go downstairs and backstage! Our first time preforming the King an I! Five whole long weeks of work went into this play. We filed in back stage and I could hear the chatter of an audience. I stepped into position for the opening entrance. Then, I heard the announcements from the speaker as I told my cast-mates to break a leg. I heard “and now, enjoy the show!” I then got into position again and heard the music. I grabbed my props and brought them onstage! Now, I could very well go into excruciating detail of everything the happened that night, but let's just say it was awesome. When we got out of costume, we all played one more game. Then we got to run down the ramp and get congratulated by the other casts and by our family and friends. I had so much fun running down, and my friend B. handed me a bouquet of flowers! After it got a little less crowded I said good bye to my friends in theater and headed for the door with my friends who came to see me. All during the car ride home we talked and talked even though it was already late. When we all got into the house, we had pizza and Oreos! Then we played Apples to Apples, night at the museum, sleeping lions and more. When we woke up, we had pancakes and bacon. After all my friends left, I took a nap and prepared for my performance that night.

Well, I won't put you through the detail of Saturday night too, but let's just say, AWESOME! Sunday was our cast party. I am SOOOOOOOOOOO sad that it's over! Sigh, oh well, starting next week, I'll be rehearsing for a new play, A Midsummer Night's Dream, with my home school group. Wish me luck!

Photo Gallery

Look mommy, an egg!
 
Pentecost cake

baby's “cotillion dress”

baby fell asleep on my lap!

Apparently baby wants to do school too!

King and I! Some of the narrators ~ I'm on the right!
 
royal children
 
royal wives

main characters!

'Till next time, bye!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing all about school and the very exciting King and I experience! Wish, Wish, Wish I was there to see it! Pictures were fabulous! I'm happy your schooling is almost over - and I'm very happy that I will see you all very soon! Love Auntie A