Friday, October 5, 2012

Blog O'Books

Hello everyone. Now, you might be wondering why I don't write as much about my actual school work as I did last year. Well, would you really like to read all about math or how Christopher Columbus discovered America, instead of hearing about great books, fun experiments, and reading fun poems? Well, if you would, please email me with a subject you would like to hear about, and I would gladly write about them. But for now, I will stick to what I believe everyone prefers. Here is a book report. If you are into wolves, I suggest this series:  The Wolves of the Beyond.  It is a sequel series to the Guardians of Ga'hoole, which I wrote about before. 
 
Wolves of the Beyond Book 1:  Shadow Wolf

A mother wolf, Morag, gives birth to a liter of pups. But to her great dismay, one of the pups was born with a splayed paw. Morag knew the pup was to be taken away by the Obea, left alone in the night, condemned to die. This was the custom with the wolves, unfortunately a very sad custom. All of the pups born with defects, or born too early, or too late, were condemned to die. It made sure that the packs remained strong, with no weakness.

Sure enough, although Morag had ran far from her clan to give birth, hiding from the Obea, the Obea still found her. Now, the Obea is a she-wolf, who is unable to have pups. And she is the one who has to leave the pup to die. Surprisingly, the old she-wolves do not feel anything when they leave the pup to die. To them, they might as well be carrying a pouch of dirt for all the sympathy they have.

Well, the little silver pup with the splayed paw, was taken away to his tummfraw which is the wolf word for “place of abandonment” or something like that. This particular tummfraw was by a flooding river, and on a direct owl flight route. If the river didn't drown him, the owls would make a meal of him. Well, the river swept him up, and he clung on to his little piece of earth for dear life.

Across the river a little way, was a grizzly bear mother, “howling” with anxiety. She had looked for higher land when she saw the river rise, and while she was gone, a cougar killed her only cub. The cub was her last, not of the year, but ever because she was too old to have any more. She wanted very much for the river to drown her. She sought death, and the little wolf pup sought life. Well, the silver ball of fur caught on the grizzly's leg, and she pulled him out of the water, saving his life. She decided to raise this pup as her own. She named him Faolan. In bear language, “fao” means both river and wolf, and “lan” means “gift”. He was her gift from the river.

To make a long story short, she raises him as her own, and he goes on an adventure to find his clan, and to become a gnawwolf, which is what a wolf becomes if it returns from abandonment... which, sadly, is seldom.

Now, if you would like to find out more, I highly suggest you get this book. But I would hurry. If you do plan on reading this book, I hope you are a fast reader. Because I myself hate spoilers, and you probably do too, and I am putting another summary of the next book in the series up in one or two weeks. GET TO THE LIBRARY! Haha.

Well then, did you like that? Now, what other fun things did I do this week? OOH! I know! How about I tell you about my theater class? Well, the first Monday I went, we just played games. It was very fun. But then again, that wasn't THIS week, and technically, I am only supposed to write about what I did this week. But if you would like to know about the games, please email me, and I will gladly tell you about them. Well, this week, we just worked on our ensemble song which is....”Mama Says” from Footloose. So we worked on choreography and singing. At the end of every class, we all lay on the floor, and our teacher turned off the lights. It was almost like therapy. She had us say things we learned, and things we are thankful for, etc.... oh, and at the VERY end, she had us all say “I am beautiful. I am awesome. I am valuable...”etc...I guess it is to build self esteem. But it was very fun.  Well, let's see, that about wraps up theater. I believe that's all for this week. But next week, I will be sure to write another blog, and you can read more.

PS-really, if there is ANYTHING you would like me to write about in the next blog, please just email me. I would be very glad to write about it.

Photo Gallery
 wolves!
 :-)
 Baby set up a desk & computer for herself!
 so sweet <3
 so silly!
 a world of fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not sure my first attempt took. . .let me have the honor of first responder! Your book report was awesome and made me really want to go and get the book from the library to read! I am so impressed with you and your talents!!! Keep the blogs coming! Love Auntie Anne