Sunday, October 14, 2012

Halloween and Poetry

Now, this week, all I am going to talk about is poetry and Halloween. For those of you who would like to know about other subjects, please email me. I did get one email, but I didn't see it until after I wrote my blog, so I will write that in with next week's blog. Here are my school topics:
  • Spelling- I can show you my sentences for the week, or just my words.
  • Poetry- I can tell you about the poems I wrote that week, as well as share them.
  • Reading- I can give a book report on my latest books I have read.
  • Composition- I can tell you about my Hands On Essays I have written, or what the week's lesson was.
  • Math- there is not much to talk about on this topic, but if you think of a question or something, I would be glad to answer it.
  • Zoology- I can tell you all about the animals I am learning about, or I can tell you about the experiments.
  • U.S. Geography and History- any questions on these I would be glad to answer.
Now any of these topics, you can email me to hear about. It would be easiest on me if you would write your email in the form of a survey. That way, I can type the questions you have (on the blog) and then my answers.

Now, I would like to move on to the first poem. This is a special kind of poem, and believe me, it isn't easy to format it, but it is easier for some, because it doesn't have to rhyme, and you can repeat.
I hope you all enjoyed that.

Now, this is the first time I have ever mixed poetry with another subject, well, as long as I can remember that is. But this is my project this week for US Geography in a poem! Here it is:
Big apple
Wanna know about New York?
Read this poem,
and all of the state symbols,
well, you'll know 'em!
If a girl comes up to you,
you better believe her,
if she tells you New York's animal
is a beaver.
Your brother's been to New York,
so he probably knows,
that New York's state flower,
is the beautiful rose
hey, have you heard?
New York's is the eastern bluebird!
The state's insect
is red with black specks.
What's New York's gem?
Diamonds or rubies aren't it.
Why, it's none other than the
wine red garnet!
The beverage of the state,
white as silk,
it comes from a cow,
by the title of milk!
New York's fruit is an apple,
red and round.
When you chew this food,
you'll hear a cruching sound.
Now, as for state symbols,
i'll give you one more,
New York's state motto
is “excelsior”!

Ok. now, I am going to share with you an essay I wrote, that also has to do with Halloween. Here it is:

      Despite how different you may think the All Saints' Day party, and Trick-or-Treating sound, they do have a few similarities. 

      For one thing, they both are on Halloween night. All Saints' Day is the day after Halloween, but the party is on Halloween. And unfortunately, they are both at the same time, so you can't do both. But the All Saints' Day party is inside, where as trick-or-treating is outside. All Saints Day party is inside, so that we can play games and such. The games are all saint related, hence the name. Speaking of names, “Halloween” actually means All Hallow's Eve (or the eve of All Saints' Day)!

      You get sweets at either event, although in different ways. At the party, you play games at booths in order to get candy, unless you are a helper. In that case, you run the games and many sneak candy. Volunteers are given a candy bag at the end of the night. At the All Saints' Day party, there is also a cake walk. People who are coming bake the cakes for the cake walk, they are not bought. Obviously, trick-or-treating doesn't have a cake walk. If you go Trick-or-Treating, you simply go door-to-door saying “trick or treat!” although it is always treat, and they give you candy. Sometimes trick-or-treating, you also get bags of popcorn.

      While you dress up for both events, you can dress as anything when you trick-or- treat, but if you go to the All Saints' Day party, you can only go as a Saint, save toddlers and babies, who can go as either a Saint or an animal from the ark. Also, when you go trick-or-treating, you can walk and talk with the people you go with, but at the party, you can hang out, and talk, and eat, etc.
     
     Although very different in some ways, I believe, that all in all the All Saints' Day party, and trick-or-treating are quite the same in other ways. Candy, costumes, friends, fun, I love October 31st!

Thank you for reading my blog! And PLEASE email me with surveys to answer, questions, and topics you would like to hear about! Thank you.

Photo Gallery

We had fun at a local festival:
 
 
 
 
 
 
More pics from our week:
 
 
 
Until next week, bye!



No comments: