Sunday, January 8, 2012

Ocean Kings of Exercise

(written on Friday, January 6th)

Hi, again!  Did everyone have a great Christmas and New Year?  I know I did!  But today is the twelfth day of Christmas.  Remember, according to the song, we all now have, 12 partridges in pear trees, 22 turtle doves, 30 French hens, 36 calling birds, 40 golden rings, 42 geese a laying, 42 swans a swimming, 40 maids a milking, 36 ladies dancing, 30 lords a leaping, 22 pipers piping, and 12 drummers drumming.  Your house must be really loud, full, and smell like a barn! 

Well now that I am finished with my song-math, I bet you are wondering “what is with that title?!?”  well, I would be too.  First of all, it is the twelfth day of Christmas, also known as Epiphany, or Three Kings Day.  That reveals the second word in the title.  For Three Kings Day, first we went to church.  When we came back we made pancakes.  We used cookie cutters shaped like crowns and kings.  They looked so cool! 
Later, we are going to make a chocolate cake and put sprinkles and M&M’s to make a crown. 
Can you find the crown?

here it is!
Tonight, we are going to open our three presents, and have pizza.  After pizza, we are going to eat our cake and play games.  I love Epiphany!
I  made a crown & scepter for baby.
She calls the crown "Lucy hat" (remember St. Lucy day?!)
She calls the scepter "shepherd" (from the staff in the Nativity set)
The 3 Kings finally ended their 12 day journey.
Baby got to move them to the stable.

Now to explain the last word of the title, I will now tell you about the word exercise.  So, my Mom and I are now going to these classes at the gym.  On Monday’s, we go to zumba, and on Thursday’s we go to pilates.  Zumba is like a dance/exercise class.  Whereas pilates is kinda like yoga/exercise.  At zumba, the music is loud, and you really work your muscles and it’s fast and a really good work-out.  At pilates, the music is soft and relaxing.  You sit on mats and do stretches.  You really work your abs.  Mine are sore now! 

And now to unlock the coded message of the title.  Ocean.  Of course every time I  write a blog, usually I talk about one thing.  That is… science.  “oh..” your saying.  “now I get it”  well in science, we have been learning all about aquatic animals, and about the ocean, this week was mainly ocean.  And so, we did some really cool experiments.  For the first one, we took a cake or brownies pan.  We filled it with water and placed it on the island/counter.  Then, we poured in sparkles.  Two people took a fan and placed them right above opposite corners, like this:  
When we turned on the fans, the sparkles began to swirl.  It was a miniature gyre.  Gyres are found in the ocean all around the earth, and now in our kitchen!  By the way,  I created the drawing in “Paint”
After using pepper and sparkles, we tried Fruit Loops.
The fans weren't strong enough to move them,
so we used hair dryers!

Photo Gallery

New Year's Day / the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God
After Mass we made blue-iced cinnamon rolls for breakfast
yummy!
We made blue & white cupcakes for dessert for dinner
I love playing games on feast days, holidays, any day!

Faith & Fun Club
January is dedicated to the Holy Name of Jesus.
Our craft was making Jesus illusion banners.  
Can you find Jesus' name?!
For our snack, we decorated sugar cookies with blue icing & 
then used the cookie/icing press to draw IHS on top.  
(IHS is a Greek monogram for the name Jesus)
When we finished our Holy Name of Jesus activities, 
we played around tying each other up, lol!

Doing school in the closet while baby shines 
Daddy's red light headband on the book :-)
 
Well, till next time, bye!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Mia!

Great first week of school. We sure missed your visit this December but hopefully it will work out sometime in the near future!! Love the pics!! Keep them coming!

Love Auntie A

Grandma Betty said...

looks like a fun time was had by all.
Grandma Betty