Hello there everyone! I am writing yet another fun blog. Last week was a short week - only four days, because we had a vacation over the long weekend. But it was still full of fun! I am going to tell you about my presentation day, clay sculptures, and writing workshop. So just sit back, relax, and enjoy the blog.
Ok first I will tell you about my presentation day. Well, at the public school that I went to, we had a lot of projects we made, and then we showed them to the whole class. But since we do not have a class now that we home school, we decided to have a group to present. Only two families came, but it was still a big group. We put up a table in the front of the room and chairs behind it like an audience. Everyone was given a small stack of index cards and a pencil. After someone shared their projects, everyone would write down a compliment. After everyone shared, we had goldfish and animal cookies.
When I shared, the things I shared were these:
Decapitated elephant (you know the story)
Owl masks (also talked about in previous blogs)
Egyptian tomb(you know the one)
Owl pictures (you’ve seen them)
And one more thing that I have not talked about:
Owl wings
Ok, so since you know about almost all of my projects, I will tell you about my wings. I once was really into bats. So my mom and I looked up “how to make bat wings” a page popped up. It looked simple, so at sewing, my teacher and I sewed the basic shape. We morphed the shape to make them owl wings. We also put dowels in them like the instructions said to. When I got home, that week, I was to decorate them. When I had first known I was going to make the wings I cut out more than two hundred paper feathers! So I glued them on to the wings. I ran out, so I painted the rest of my wings with a close color fabric paint. Here are some pics.
Ok so now I will tell you about writing workshop. So lately, in writing workshop, I have been given two animals, and a topic of disagreement. I will share two of my writings. My first one is The Snake and the Dog, the second one I will show you is The Owl and the Eagle.
Did you like them? Could you figure out who was talking? Did you notice their personalities? Which was your favorite?
The Snake and The Dog
“Ma friend. legs are great walkin' tools.”
“I dissssssagree. Fellow dog, legss jussst get in the way! It isss far better to sssslither.”
“but snake, legs are for runnin'! and jammin! And, you can git around much fastar! Better have legs.”
“Ah, but there'ssss where you are wrong! Sssnakesss can ssslither very fassst! Legssss would jusst ssslow uss down! Much better without.”
“humph! non sense! You guys are slow, slow, slow! You gotta git your belly all dirty just to go somewhere! Don't it hurt? Rubbin' y'all's bellies? 'Specially on concrete!”
“Usss ssnakess are covered in sscaless, sstrong sscaless at that. We hardly feel it! But you, you pounccce on thosse feet all the day. Don't your feet hurt ssseverely?”
“No Mam. Feet got them soft pads. Don't feel nothin'. Feels good to bounce round on squishy paws. I feel alive!”
“Then I guess you might want to try ssslithering! It iss relaxxxing. You can think.”
….dog puts belly to ground and used hind legs to rush....
“Ouch! man! Well look now at ma fir! It's all messy!”
…. dog straightens fur out...
“Snake, why don't you try walkin'?”
“Can't do that, I'm afraid. I don't have a sssingle pair of legsss, let alone fur.”
“Oh yeah. hmmmm.”
“I guesss I will jusst ssstick to sssslithering and you to ussssing legsss.”
“Yep. Good with me. I'm off ta play fetch.”
The Owl and The Eagle
“How could you possibly sleep with this sun glaring in your eyes?”
“I find it relaxing. But you! - you sleep when the beautiful moon is hsining. Night time is for being alert and active!”
“Ha! Day time my friend, is perfect for being awake! You can actually see for one thing.”
“Actually, I find the sun too bright. It is hard for me to focus. It is much better for sleep.”
“Ah, but day time, the animals just walk by and voila! dinner is served!”
“But there is where you are wrong. At night, all you must do is simply eat a sleeping animal. An animal awake, will put up a fight.”
“But what about you? When you are asleep during the day, a hunter may come by and pow! Hunters come by day, so you would be an easy victim.”
“But us owls have very good hearing. We would hear the hunter a mile away! Plus, with our coloring, we can blend in nicely.”
“But the day! So nice and warm, and night so cold.”
“I find the cool evenings pleasant.”
“Well, I still think night time for sleeping.”
“I disagree. Daytime is relaxing.”
“Then I will sleep during night and you day.”
“That is fine by me. Oh my! GTG Way past my nest time! It is already noon!”
Did you like them? Could you figure out who was talking? Did you notice their personalities? Which was your favorite?
Now I will tell you about clay creations. So I am really into owls, right? Right. I wanted to make an owl, So I got started. I molded some clay over tinfoil for the body. Then I made wing shape pieces. I then covered the wings with flat ovals, for feathers. I also made a tail that style. Then I made a head and covered it with much smaller feathers. I made a heart shape face. It was to be a spotted owl. I then made very detailed eyes. The feet were very hard too. Here is my clay owl:
Extras:
My vacation:
My dad, my sister, and I went on the long weekend vacation. We were taking my big sister to a college visit. My sister stayed at the college, but my dad and I stayed at a hotel. On the first day, we went to the zoo. I will tell you about the coolest things at the zoo. We saw arctic foxes for one thing. They were so cool! There was also a play area at the zoo, and it was modeled like a huge garden! I felt like I was in the movie: Honey I Shrunk the Kids! the very best part of the zoo was the bird aviary. last time we went to this zoo, we saw like one bird, a million people. This time, since we went on Friday, there were no people. But there were birds. Millions of birds! We walked in and saw beautiful colors! Big pink birds were right there! We were about to take a picture with the pink birds when a parrot flew right next to me! literally! It was on the rail. We got pictures of that! When I walked away, she came back to me! I also got a tiger stuffed animal, and an owl necklace at the souvenir shop.
arctic fox!
The next day, we went to a science museum. We forgot the camera at that one, so no pictures. Sorry. The best things there, were really cool. They also had a reptile area, and a zoo at the museum. The highlights were maned wolves, tigers, screech owls, and walking around on the ground were peacocks! We also got to feel two real live snakes! Man I would have loved a picture there! I got a small owl statue at that gift shop.
Photo Gallery
Baby's 1st popsicle --
she ate the whole thing - and it was mine!
She loves watching the tree lights!
She actually likes wearing "Santa hat"
I hope you enjoyed my blog! “till next week, bye!

No comments:
Post a Comment