Saturday, January 18, 2014

Writing, Poetry, and Crafting, Oh My!

Hello everyone! One more week of school behind me, and one more weekend ahead of me! I sure do love Friday's, do you? This week's blog holds things a bit more interesting than last week's, as I had more subjects, and unfortunately, more work. Let's see what I have in store for you all!

First up, poetry! Who doesn't love a good riddle once and a while? Here's one I made up:
What do you call a duck that you hang things with?
A Quack Tack!”

On to another form of writing. This was my first week of having composition this year, so I thought I’d share two paragraphs I wrote.

Going to the Movie Theater with Friends
Going to the movie theater is better with friends. Watching movies with friends is always more enjoyable than watching by one's self. Friends tend to laugh at a lot more in the movie than they would on their own; and most people love laughing. It is also a great way to spend time with each other while getting ready before and watching the movie. The fun lasts longer because the friends can talk about the movie and quote it. Going to the movie theater with friends is a really great way to spend the day!

Things That Make a Great Party
If someone wants to throw a party, chances are they'll want an unforgettable, amazing experience but what makes a great party? Games are always the go-to solution for get-togethers. Traditional games like Hide'N'Go'Seek, Pinata, or Scavenger Hunt are sure to keep the party going. To hold the guests' interest, the host could try more creative, out-of-the-box games like Mummy, keeping the balloon off of the ground, or having a disco dance! The host will also want to arrange time just to hang out, if the guests are teenage or older. A movie would be great, or even just sitting around talking. Every party should have food. The traditional food, like cake or other desserts are a must-have. Also finger food, preferably salty, to balance out the flavors. With these ideas, the party is sure to be great!

I promised to tell you the results of my leaf project I did with baby last week. One of the three papers had a faint imprint on it, so it didn't work as well as I had hoped, but it was still fun!

I hope you have enjoyed my school section of the blog! Now for a final topic: My non-related-to-school activities!

This week, I have been working on making masks. As a treat, I’m going to show you the step- by-step process of making these beauties.

Step one was to collect milk jugs and wash them. I collected distilled water jugs instead. We don't drink milk, and these don't have to be washed! For step two, I printed out a mask template. I cut it out, and then traced it onto construction paper, which is stronger. Then I cut that one out, which I used as my template for all the masks. I traced it onto a jug, wherever it fit nicely, and used my sharpest scissors to carefully cut it out. Once that was finished, I cut out ear shapes from the construction paper and traced them onto the jug to cut out. I positioned the ears where I liked them on the mask, and used blue tape to secure them. This is a picture of what they looked like at this stage.
Step three, paper mache-ing, was a two-day process. I cut newspaper into squares about an inch wide. I made the solution with water and flour, stirring until I liked the consistency. Then I paper mached them. 
 
When all the masks were covered, I left them to dry all night and day. 
 
The next day, I repeated this step with printer paper, so that the masks were completely white by the time I was finished. I again left these to dry overnight, and throughout the next day.
 
Finally, they were ready to paint! I painted the base coat on first, for color. The next coat was a slightly different color, painted with a dried out brush to get a furry texture. The last layer was yet another slightly different color, painted with the dried out brush. By the end of this, the masks looked furry, and realistic. Next I painted the ears with a slightly darker color than the original coat. Next, I traced the eyes so that they were black. Then I added shape to them, curving the lines and bringing the corners out to a point, giving a feline look to the eyes.
 
Here are two of them at this stage:
I'll post pictures of the finished products.

Photo Gallery
creating designs with some of the nail polish I got for Christmas
Baby asked for a dragon for lunch, so I made this!
Baby took this cool pic!
Baby & her grocery list :-)
Baby found the Christmas labels & made a hat & gloves with them, lol!
walking in snow

Till next time, bye!

2 comments:

Aunt Patty said...

Baby should come up here and experience the real thing! Too Cute! What great imaginations you all have!

Anonymous said...

2nd week of school looks like it was pretty fun! Especially loved the non school stuff - thanks for showing the paper mache process for the masks -can't wait to see the finished product! I thought the lunch plate was awesome - the carrots were great as fire!!!! Love, Auntie A