This week‘s blog is going to be really fun for me to write, and really fun for you to read. This week’s topics are listed above, but I will list them again:
Ga’hoole owls
Stamps
Bats
One wild dog
I always like to save the best for last, so I will tell you about my stamps first. I wanted to make an official stamp for our club. I got out a piece of craft foam and started working. I first cut out a 2” by 2” square. Then I cut out four tear drops. After that, I cut out a pear shape. Last I glued them all together with tacky glue. Together they formed a paw print. I am reading a new serious about owls, (I will tell you more later) so I wanted to make an owl stamp. I cut out a large square. I cut two circles-eyes, one diamond-beak, one tear drop-wing, won crescent moon shape-body, one large out line of circle-head, two cone-with-out-point shapes-legs, and two more diamonds-feet. I then glued them all down with tacky glue. The two stamps worked perfectly! I love them!
my pawprint stamp
my owl stamp
It is now time to tell you about Ga’hoole owls. I am reading a new series called the Guardians of Ga’hoole. It is the best series ever! It is like a movie in your head, no joke! The first book, I started to read at lunch time. And I read it all the way to bed time! I finished a chapter book in one day! The next two I finished this week also. I achieved a goal! It was a goal because we are going to watch the movie: Legend of the Guardians, Owls of Ga’hoole. And the movie contains the contents of the first three books. We are going to watch it tonight! I am so exited!
In poetry I wrote a limerick about one of the Ga'Hoole characters:
There once was an owl named Twilight
He wore battle claws and then took flight
There was no mission
He was to be missing
That courageous Great Gray owl name Twilight.
Here are pictures I drew of some of the Ga'Hoole characters:
Soren - a Barn Owl
Twilight - a Great Gray
Gylfie - an Elf Owl
Digger - a Burrowing Owl
I also made some owl masks!
Barn Owl, Snowy Owl, Great Gray, Spotted Owl
Now, I hope you love reading about our science experiments and our after play time for science. Am I right? Well they are my favorite to write about, so here goes. Now this week’s experiment was especially fun! We were learning about bats this week, so we did a bat experiment. We took 20 cotton balls, and 20 things that had a smell -good or bad. Some of the things were: vinegar, vanilla, toothpaste, and much more! We put one of the smells on one of the cotton balls. By the end, each cotton ball had a different smell. Each of us picked a smell. M.S. picked a peppermint smell. M. picked a banana smell. And I picked the vanilla smell. Then, one of us got blind folded. M.S. went first. She had to find her pup -a baby bat- in all of the nursery. She picked up each cotton ball smelling it carefully. When she found hers, we all smelled it and agreed.
There were a couple of mistakes though. Good thing that mother bats don’t make mistakes, or else they would end up taking care of the wrong baby bat! I went next. I smelled each one. When I smelled the vinegar, uh oh! I went berserk! I wonder if mother bats do that?
Then M. went. He kept picking up his and putting it back. We all laughed! He also would keep picking up the wine smelling pup, or the vinegar smelling pup! It was hilarious! Afterwards, the blind fold began to smell like vinegar! Yuck!
Now I will tell you about the best! After the science experiments, we all went into the large open room. We tried to think of what to do. While thinking, M.S. started running on all fours growling! M. tried to catch her. While he was doing that, I ran and got a scarf. Then I closed in all openings. It was like a bullfight! We used the scarf as a rope. We got blankets to use as nets. We closed in a space with chairs. Then it was time to lure her into it. Once in, we closed the gap between the two chairs, locking her in. Unfortunately, she found a way to escape. She went strait for M.! While attacking, I forced a blind fold on to her. Man! It was hard! We were fighting a blind folded wild dog! We made plenty of noise to distract her. While I went one way stomping, he went the other way saying: “over here!” We each had a blanket/net. We then threw them over her, wrapping her up. I tried to wrap the scarf around her leg. Then bang! She was up and running! And I was being dragged against my own will! Then, it caught! The rope caught! Yes! I pulled and pulled. We managed to get her into her “cage”. We did this many many times. Then, the dreaded doorbell! They had to leave. L But I plan to invite them over this weekend! J
Photo Gallery
We're bats!
We tried to make lions and papal mitres, but the dough
was very soft to work with, so the cookies turned out
birds in a nest
Well, ‘till next time, bye!







3 comments:
You have outdone yourself with this blog.
I don't have an adjective to really describe how great your drawings are. Fabulous, I love the details you put into the drawings of the owls. And the masks are so great. Unbelievable!! The games you think up to play are very imaginative. The one about finding the right pup was hilarious. I could not visualize the owl stamp until I looked...It's amazing.
I loved the pictures especially 'telling secrets'; 'birds in a nest came in second'.
being bats LOL
It seems like way too much fun to be a class !
Grandma
Hello Mia,
Thanks for sharing your adventures in education this week!
So much more fun than regular school!!!! You are so creative - with your bat and wild dog play! Alos, so creative in your drawing - the owls were absolutely awesome. I loved the limerick! You made me want to read the book!
Loved the pictures - do you upload those by yourself? I want to learn how to do that!
I spent my weekend raking a lot of leaves both up at the lake and at home! But I didn't mind because the weather was soooo beautiful!
Thanks for sharing your week!
Love,
Auntie Anne
I love your owl crafts and drawings. The pictures with you and your little sister are so adorable. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment